Power Sunday Toolkit
Build a Healthy Church
Our church is the heart of our community, providing not only spiritual comfort, but also serving as the support center for social, educational and health issues.
For this reason, it's a great idea to involve your church in spreading the "Power!" Here are some ways to promote a healthy church.
- Ask your minister to give a message to the congregation about church health focusing on stroke.
- Conduct a Power Sunday using the Power Sunday Toolkit.
- Pass out the Power To End Stroke pledge cards and educational pamphlets, and put up a Power To End Stroke poster. (All of these are available at Shoppower.org).
- Start exercise and healthy cooking classes and plan an event to educate congregation members.
- Download Power To End Stroke tools to include with your church flier or programs.
- Encourage church members to mail in a Power To End Stroke pledge card, take the pledge online, or send it to their local affiliate.
Power Sunday Downloadable Toolkit
Yolanda King, daughter of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Coretta Scott King, conducted the first National Power Sunday church service in remembrance of her mother, Coretta Scott King, and others who have survived or died of stroke. The church service was held on Sunday, May 6, 2007 in Atlanta, Georgia as part of the "Igniting the Power" weekend and 1st Annual Power Awards. Today more than 74 Power Sunday's have been conducted across the United States.
We are asking churches and other organizations across the nation to participate in their own Power Sunday -- any Sunday of the year -- by discussing stroke awareness with their congregations. It's a great way to promote a healthy church with a healthy congregation.
In order to inform churches about this Power Sunday church service we have created a Power Sunday Toolkit. Please use this toolkit to assist you in hosting a Power Sunday service.
The toolkit includes:
- Letter to churches
- Power Sunday Overview
- Clergy speech
- The Power health litany
- Bulletin/Pulpit announcements
- Power Sunday posters
- Take the Pledge posters
- Registration card
- Family History Tree poster
- Power Sunday Frequently Asked Questions
- Risk factors flyer
- Church bulletin reminders
- PTES Online Store
- Thank you letter from AHA CEO