About the Power To End Stroke Movement
Power To End Stroke is an education and awareness campaign that embraces and celebrates the culture, energy, creativity and lifestyles of Americans. It unites people to help make an impact on the high incidence of stroke within their communities.
Power To End Stroke was created in 2006 by the Association/American Stroke Association to help reach the ASA mission to reduce stroke and risk of stroke. It was also meant to raise critical awareness within the African American population. Heart disease and stroke are major health risks for all people, but African Americans are at particularly high risk. Consider this:
- Blacks have almost twice the risk of first-ever strokes compared to whites.
- Blacks have higher death rates for stroke compared to whites.
- The prevalence of high blood pressure in African Americans in the United States is the highest in the world.
Power To End Stroke is working. Cause participants are seeing a health impact. They are living healthier lives, being more active, eating better, and seeing physical results. For example, a recent survey showed that:
- 55% Modified their diet to eat more heart healthy food
- 52% Increased amount of physical exercise
- 54% Had blood pressure checked
- 45% Had cholesterol checked
- 37% Encouraged someone else to talk to their doctor about stroke
By joining forces with Power To End Stroke and the AHA, you can help us make an even bigger impact.
2011-2012 Power to End Stroke Highlights